When you browse the internet and come across a helpful resource, one of the ways you can save it for later is to use apps like Google Keep or Evernote . However, you can also use your browser’s built-in tool to create a bookmark.
Bookmarks are saved shortcuts that store the title, favicon, and URL of a specific webpage. This way, you don’t have to remember the URL and next time you want to go to that specific web page, you can access it on the web via the saved bookmark.
Whether you’re using Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge, this guide explains the steps you can take to transfer bookmarks to and from all major browsers.
How To Transfer Bookmarks To & From Google Chrome
You can transfer your personal data to Google Chrome from another browser. This data includes your browsing history, saved passwords, default search engine, and bookmarks.
- To move your bookmarks from Chrome, open Chrome and click the menu (three dots) at the upper right side of the browser screen. Select Settings.
- Under the You and Google section, click Import bookmarks and settings.
- Select the menu on the Import bookmarks and settings window, and click the Favorites/Bookmarks box.
- Click the drop down arrow at the top to select the browser you’d like to transfer your bookmarks from and bring them into Chrome.
- If you have a Bookmarks HTML file, select the option from the drop down menu and upload the file from your drive. Click Open.
Chrome will transfer the contents of the HTML file and they’ll appear in the bookmark manager.
To transfer bookmarks from Chrome to another browser:
- Click the menu and select Bookmarks.
- Select Bookmark manager.
- The Bookmarks window will open in a new tab. Click the menu (three dots).
- Select Export Bookmarks.
- Select a destination for the HTML file and then import them to your new browser.
How To Transfer Bookmarks To & From Microsoft Edge
You can transfer your bookmarks to Microsoft Edge from another browser without using an import or export file.
- Open Microsoft Edge and click on the three dots (horizontal) at the top right side of the screen. Click Settings.
- In the Settings window, click Import browser data on the right pane.
- Click the drop down arrow in the Import from box, and select the browser you’re transferring bookmarks from into Microsoft Edge.
- If you’re transferring bookmarks from Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge Legacy or Internet Explorer, select bookmarks and then click the blue Import button.
- If you’re moving bookmarks from Google Chrome to Microsoft Edge, you have to select your profile, select Favorites and Bookmarks, and then click Import.
- You’ll get a confirmation that says “We’ve brought your data over” meaning the transfer was successful.
To transfer bookmarks from Microsoft Edge to other browsers:
- Open Microsoft Edge and click on the Menu > Favorites > Manage Favorites.
- In the Manage Favorites window, click the menu and select Export Favorites.
- Save the HTML file to your preferred location and then export the file to another browser.
How To Transfer Bookmarks To & From Firefox Browser
- To transfer your bookmarks to Firefox, open the browser and click on the three-line menu at the top right corner of the screen. Select Library. Alternatively, click on the Library icon on the browser menu.
- Click Bookmarks.
- Next, click Show All Bookmarks.
- Click Import and Backup.
In the drop down menu, you’ll get the following options:
- Backup, which backups up your bookmarks as a JSON file
- Restore, which restores bookmarks from a saved JSON file or previous date/time
- Import Bookmarks from HTML, which allows you to import bookmarks saved from Firefox or another browser in HTML format
- Export Bookmarks to HTML, which lets you store all your bookmarks in an HTML file
- Import Data From Another Browser, which lets you import bookmarks and other personal data from another browser
4. Select the Import Data from Another Browser option.
- From the Import Wizard, select the browser you want to transfer your bookmarks from and into Firefox. The browser options available will depend on the browsers installed on your computer, and those that are compatible with the Firefox import functionality.
- Click Next and repeat this step depending on the number of browsers you’re transferring your bookmarks from.
- In the Items to Import window, select the data you’d like to transfer to Firefox, in this case it would be Favorites/Bookmarks (the term used depends on the source browser and available data). Click Next to start transferring the bookmarks.
- When the transfer process is completed, click Finish to go back to the Firefox Library interface. Your bookmarks folder should now be in the Firefox browser with all the transferred sites and any other data you chose to transfer.
To transfer bookmarks to another browser, use the same steps, but select Export Bookmarks to HTML in the Import and Backup section.
How To Transfer Bookmarks To & From Safari
When you first start using Safari and your default browser is Chrome or Firefox, you can import your bookmarks and other personal data manually or automatically. You can also import bookmarks exported from Safari and other browsers in HTML format.
To automatically transfer bookmarks from Chrome and Firefox to Safari, open Safari and select an option from the following:
- Keep your imported items
- Remove your imported items
- Decide later
- If you prefer to transfer bookmarks to Safari manually, open Safari and select File > Import From and click Google Chrome or Firefox.
- Select the items you want to import and then click Import.
Note: You must install Chrome or Firefox on your Mac if you want to import bookmarks to Safari.
- You can also import a Bookmarks HTML File to transfer bookmarks from Chrome or Firefox to Safari. To do this, open Safari and click File > Import From > Bookmarks HTML File.
- Choose the file you want to import, and then click Import. Once the bookmarks are imported, they’ll be saved in the Imported folder at the bottom of the sidebar.
- To transfer bookmarks from Safari to other browsers, open Safari and click File > Export Bookmarks.
The exported file will be labeled Safari Bookmarks.html, and you can use it to transfer the bookmarks to another browser.
How To Transfer Bookmarks To & From Opera Browser
- Type opera://settings/importdata in the address search bar to open Opera Settings.
- In the Import bookmarks and settings popup, select the browser containing the bookmarks you’d like to transfer.
- Add a checkmark to select Favorites/Bookmarks. You can select other options such as browsing history, cookies, or saved passwords if you want those moved along with the bookmarks to the new browser. Click Import.
You can also transfer bookmarks to Opera via an HTML file you exported from another browser. Select Bookmarks HTML File from the drop down menu and click Import to import the bookmarks file directly from another browser.
To transfer bookmarks from Opera to another browser,you can use an add-on if your version of the browser doesn’t have the export tool.
Save All Your Favorite Bookmarks
Were you able to transfer your bookmarks to and from your browser? Share with us in a comment below. If you want to switch from your current browser, check out our guide on alternative browsers you may not have heard of before. We also have an in-depth review of the Brave browser if you’re looking for a privacy-focused browser.